Chocolatey Chocolate Muffins

26 Jan

These are inspired by my absolutely favorite food on earth, a chocolate cake my kids named “Chocolatey Chocolate Cake” (after the little bunny in the adorable book Rabbit Ears.)   Next time you are craving a chocolate fest, make THAT cake with no substitutions.  I get accolades every time I serve it, and I then have to admit to everyone that it is not an old old family recipe.  It was an Allrecipes find.

But, if you are looking for a healthy-er recipe for your chocolate addiction, and/or you want to sneak some protein and fat into your kids’ diet without making them feel like they never get any treats, make these.  I adapted it from that original cake, and these do not disappoint.

2 ½ cups almond flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

2 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup maple syrup
½ cup water
1/3 cup coffee-flavored liqueur (Kahlua)
3 eggs
½ cup chocolate chips…to keep it extra clean use Enjoy Life, they are awesome!

Prepare a cupcake pan.  With a wire whisk, combine the dry ingredients until completely mixed.  Add the liquid ingredients and stir until fully incorporated into a batter.  Stir in chocolate chips.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-23 minutes.  Makes 12 cupcakes.  Store in airtight container in the fridge.

You’ll have to excuse my photographic apathy.  I just can’t even begin to keep up with the photography I see on people’s food blogs these days!  Wow.  For now, the iPhone camera uploads are as good as it gets around here.

I really hope you enjoy these, let me know if you make them!

8 Responses to “Chocolatey Chocolate Muffins”

1. Lynn January 26, 2017 at 7:40 pm #

Oh wow those look so yummy! I am going to make some next week!!

2. Jessica January 28, 2017 at 4:01 pm #

Made these today and they are absolutely delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

3. the PRIME pursuit January 28, 2017 at 6:00 pm #

Thanks for letting me know!! I miss chatting with you! Have a wonderful weekend!!

4. Laura Carlton January 29, 2017 at 11:09 am #

No sour cream?

Sent from my iPhone

5. Anne January 30, 2017 at 9:59 am #

Leigh, wow ! This was an absolute success with children and adults alike in our family ! You really cannot tell that this isn’t a “regular” cake made with wheat. 🙂 Thank you for sharing !

• the PRIME pursuit January 30, 2017 at 10:40 am #

Thanks Anne!! I so appreciate the feedback. Have a wonderful week!!