Creamy Curry Meatballs

24 Aug

20140819-213200-77520032.jpg

I am so excited.  After SO MANY MONTHS of not cooking, not trying new recipes, (honestly, not even really that eating clean, eeek),  I finally found a recipe that inspires and suits me: convenient, filling, and utterly delectable.  Between pregnancy and moving to Hawaii, blogging and cooking have really taken a back seat.  But like every passion the fire returned, even after all this time!

I won’t even apologize that this is not my original recipe, and it may even be old news to many of you.  But, I came across this and wanted to share just in case anyone was not aware of this awesomeness from Everyday Paleo.  I kept the meatball recipe the same, but I did make some minor adjustments to the sauce–to make it creamy, and mostly because her sauce called for only half-a-can of some things…I don’t like doing that.  🙂

Meatballs

3 lbs ground beef
(feed a crowd, enjoy leftovers or freeze half for next time!)

1 cup finely diced onion

1 cup apple finely diced

1 egg

2 tablespoons curry powder

½ tablespoon sea salt

black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400. In a large bowl, place all of the meatball ingredients and mix well by hand.  Form into golf-ball sized meatballs, and place into a large glass baking dish.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.  While the meatballs are roasting, whip up the sauce!

Curry Sauce

1 teaspoon garlic powder

2 tablespoons curry powder

1 can (6 oz) tomato paste

1 can (14 oz) coconut milk

1/2 c water

juice of 1 lemon

salt and pepper to taste

In a saucepan whisk all ingredients together, bring to a simmer.  Add a few more tablespoons of water if you prefer the sauce slightly thinner…I like mine thick!  After the meatballs are done, drain them in a colander, and return them to their baking dish.  Pour the sauce over them, make sure they are well-coated.  Yum!

I served them over sautéed kale and cauliflower rice.  My kids gobbled these up, and the leftovers tasted even better.  I loved that I had all the ingredients on hand!  These meatballs would also make a phenomenal freezer meal.

Enjoy!

Meatballs are a great meal for kids to help with!

Meatballs are a great meal for kids to help with!

Easy, creamy, curry sauce

Easy, creamy, curry sauce

9 Responses to “Creamy Curry Meatballs”

1. Jennie Wunderlich August 24, 2014 at 10:34 pm #

Hi Leigh! Its great to see a new recipe. I know you don’t know me, but I went to West Point and OBC with Heather. My first duty assignment was Hawaii and my husband and I were blessed by a wonderful family at Mililani Community Church. I don’t know if you’re close, but there are wonderful people there who love Jesus and welcome transplants with loving arms. Thank you for encouraging others and sharing your life and delicious recipes. Sincerely, Jennie

• the PRIME pursuit August 24, 2014 at 10:43 pm #

We live on Schofield and Milliani is super close to us! We are feeling called to serve in the Post Chapel community this time. (It’s our first time ever attending a chapel!) I have heard of that church, and many people seem to love it! Hawaii is such a welcoming place! Thanks for reading/supporting our blog. :):)

2. 7beautifulimperfections August 24, 2014 at 11:26 pm #

Hello. Thanks for sharing. How spicy is this dish: mild, medium, hot?

• the PRIME pursuit August 24, 2014 at 11:48 pm #

I used plain ol’ McCormick brand curry powder from the grocery store, and it was very mild. My 3 year old ate it with no issues, and my hubby added a nice dose of red pepper flakes for himself. You also could use a HOT curry powder which is a pretty common find, if you wanted some heat. 🙂

3. Laura Sholar Carlton August 25, 2014 at 6:42 pm #

made this for diet tonight…it was unbelievably fantastic…NOT spicy…just so tasty. thanks, Leigh.

4. Dixie August 30, 2014 at 10:02 am #

I am crazy about this recipe!! I made it two days ago with only 2 lbs of beef in case I found I did not like it; however, I realized at first bite that I should have made all 3lbs as called for in the recipe. It was incredible! I served my meatballs with roasted asparagus & cauliflower. I am making them again tonight & will serve with sprouted brown/wild rice & crispy kale.

1. Hamburger Helper… | the PRIME pursuit - December 20, 2016

[…] of bone broth for a filling soup.   For another easy grab-the-hamburger dinner, check out these Creamy Curry Meatballs. […]