Best Barbecue Sauce

30 Sep
img_3549

put this on everything!

One of the first blogs we started following when we began our primal journey was SonofGrok. He had witty posts and tasty recipes, but sadly he is no longer blogging. I’m pretty sure, however, his Zesty Barbecue Sauce recipe will remain. I’ve used it several times and it never disappoints! Last week it proved to be a winner for all company so I just had to share it with you. SonofGrok could definitely bottle this. I would buy it!

Ingredients

1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 large onion, finely diced
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 to 1 1/2 cups of beef stock
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (I’ve also used red wine vinegar or pomegranate vinegarΒ in a pinch)
1 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp chili powder

Directions

Heat oil in sauce pan, sautΓ© onion and garlic. Add spices, tomato paste, mustard, and vinegar. Combine until fragrant. Slowly add beef stock, constantly mixing until you reach your desired consistency. Simmer for 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to combine. Tastes great right from the pan, but even better if you make it ahead and refrigerate for a day or two. You can also run it through a food processor once cooled if you prefer a smoother consistency. Go ahead and make a double batch!

I recently served mine with beef brisket, but it’s ideal for so many dishes. Try it with simple pulled pork, fresh roast chicken, on burgers, as a sweet potato fries dip, or with ground beef for a new twist on spaghetti squash and meat sauce. If you prefer a vinegar based barbecue sauce, try our Eastern Carolina sauce.

Happy Fall!

img_3547

the base before the broth is added

img_3552

8 Responses to “Best Barbecue Sauce”

1. Andrea @Pencils and Pancakes September 30, 2013 at 12:17 pm #

Looks good I think I’ll try that!

2. Leslie Kaloostian September 30, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

Yeah!!! So glad you put this on here!! I wanted to make sure I got the recipe after having it at your house last weekend – and so did Mike!! Yum yum!!!!

3. the PRIME pursuit September 30, 2013 at 4:42 pm #

cant wait for this…just made ribs last week and I WISH i had something like this to go with it. I had the pix taken for the ribs and everything but they are gone with the Iphone that got stolen… so I will have to make them again. Thanks for sharing this, Heather!!

4. Wendy September 30, 2013 at 5:55 pm #

Thanks for posting this! I have been craving barbecue and wasn’t quite sure what to do for the sauce! I had tried a few but they were all too bland but the ingredients on this one make it look very tasty!

5. the PRIME pursuit October 2, 2013 at 5:37 pm #

this recipe is amazing. thank you so much for putting this up!! πŸ˜‰ Made a double batch. First clean bbq sauce I have ever liked. πŸ™‚ awesome. –Leigh

6. Rachel October 18, 2013 at 10:49 am #

The fact that you give credit where credit is due for the Zesty Barbecue Sauce recipe, tells me this is a site run by people of good character.
    I will definitely visit this site again and share with friends.
    Keep up the great work!
    ~RC

• the PRIME pursuit October 18, 2013 at 11:45 am #

Thanks, Rachel! There are so many great paleo/primal resources out there, it can be overwhelming! We aim to both create and find recipes that work well for our families. Sometimes a recipe works so well, we just have to share the love! Enjoy!

7. Linda January 12, 2014 at 7:11 pm #

Best I’ve had and I even made it without garlic for my husband! We had it with pulled pork last week and as a dip for chicken this week!