Baked N’Oatmeal

4 Sep

paleo baked oatmeal

The other day I saw a rant on social media about the audacity of a blogger putting up a recipe for paleo raspberry “pop tarts.” Let’s just say people were extremely opinionated about whether or not it’s okay.  I just want to say something about baking “paleo.”  On this blog, it’s fine.  If you have a personal, particular goal for altering your body composition or for overcoming certain addictions, then you may need to limit your “paleo” treats.  But we are not pushing a certain agenda or brand or program.  We are just sharing our ideas, our advice and our recipes for enjoying delicious flavors, and eating CLEAN in our culture of processed junk.

Generally, we avoid honey/molasses/maple syrup in most recipes, so that we can keep our sweet tooth VERY sensitive.  It’s nice to be able enjoy a treat that’s been sweetened with fruit alone!  I bristle at conversations that begin to split hairs on how paleo something is, or whether it is a gateway food, etc.  Just eat clean.  Limit most added sweeteners. And most of all: ENJOY getting creative with the foods that nourish us best!

So without further ado, I present my latest go-to family breakfast.  🙂  My title was inspired by Mark Sisson’s similar idea.  This whips up quickly.  It’s made with coconut flour.**  It fills your kitchen with the warm aroma of cinnamon, and beckons everyone to the breakfast table quickly.  It is high in protein, fiber, and healthy fat, and it fills you up for the entire morning.  Possibly best of all–you’ll have leftovers to enjoy later, and cleanup is a snap.   With all this said, I might even like this recipe better than my fall pumpkin muffins!!  I didn’t think that was possible.  I can probably convert this to a pumpkin bake.  Stay tuned.  🙂

2 very ripe bananas
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup coconut milk
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 cup coconut flour
3/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350.  Prepare an 8×8 baking dish by greasing with coconut oil or butter.  In your large food processor, blend the bananas, applesauce, coconut milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, and salt.  Occasionally scrape down the sides and make sure there are no lumps of banana.  Add in the coconut flour, baking soda, and baking powder and mix until well incorporated.  Add the sliced almonds and raisins.  Pulse until they are JUST worked in.  You want them to remain intact as much as possible.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, until it doesn’t jiggle in the center.

**Here is Heather’s wonderful list about baking with coconut flour vs. nut-flour/nut butters:

1. No other flour comes close to its fiber content at 58%.
  2. It has the lowest net carb count of any flour.
  3. It’s mildly sweet.
  4. It’s packed with healthy fats, particularly lauric acid to support immunity–the only other natural source aside from coconut based products rich in lauric acid is breast milk–now that should tell you something right there!
  5. It’s mineral rich, particularly manganese to support bone health, thyroid function, nutrient absorption, the nervous system, and blood sugar balance.
  6. It’s relatively inexpensive and requires smaller quantities per recipe.
  7. It requires a ton of eggs for moisture which boosts the protein content of the final product. Great for balancing that macronutrient teeter-totter!

Enjoy!!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

26 Responses to “Baked N’Oatmeal”

1. Kelly @ A Girl Worth Saving September 4, 2013 at 12:14 pm #

Your recipe sounds amazing and it would make the most wonderful breakfast for these coming fall days. BTW, I don’t mind the controversy over the recipe, although this is the first that I’ve heard of it. Obviously, I do not follow a strict Paleo diet and I never will. I love creating fun recipes that hearken back to my childhood days and let’s face it, there are people on this diet, for various reason, who also want this and I’m happy to create for them.

• the PRIME pursuit September 4, 2013 at 9:13 pm #

I will not say where I saw the rant, but it was from a very well known paleo/clean eating proponent. I bet you can figure out which day it was by seeing the day you had the most blog hits for that link! I am with you 100 percent that people are on this diet for different reasons. I think people who cannot accept baked goods as good food have gone a little too far with it. 🙂

• Jes June 2, 2014 at 8:52 pm #

And I thank you so much for doing so. My 3yr old loved them, as did myself and hubby. Its great to have fun alternatives that are still nourishing.

2. Amber September 4, 2013 at 1:07 pm #

Do you think this could be prepared the night before and then popped in the oven the next morning?

• the PRIME pursuit September 4, 2013 at 1:12 pm #

I am not a professional baker, but I am pretty sure it might not rise. Baking soda and powder will lose its leavening power pretty quickly if you let them sit. I suggest baking it off in the evening, and then reheating in the morning to save time. 🙂

3. Amanda Villiers September 4, 2013 at 6:00 pm #

Better than the pumpkin muffins??? Really 🙂 🙂 Those are my favorites! Now that it’s Sept I must make them again! Can’t wait to try this treat! Thanks!!!!
    MISS YOU!!!!
    Amanda

• the PRIME pursuit September 4, 2013 at 9:09 pm #

Amanda, miss you too!! Thanks for still reading our stuff!

• Amanda Villiers September 5, 2013 at 7:15 pm #

I made it this morning and the WHOLE family ate it up… quick! it was super yummy! I was “naughty” and added a little maple syrup to mine 🙂 de-lish!!!

4. Shelly September 4, 2013 at 9:05 pm #

I’ve enjoyed sooooo many of your recipes and this one is my next attempt at delicious baking.
    btw, I wish there was a “print” button on your site so I could just get the text and not 5 pages every time….

• the PRIME pursuit September 4, 2013 at 9:09 pm #

Shelly, thanks for the kind compliment. I don’t know a lot about how to create a print button. I will check it out. Sometimes your internet browser makes it pretty easy to print screen. I am sorry my blogs are 5 pages!! I am rather verbose!

• the PRIME pursuit September 24, 2013 at 8:18 pm #

We finally found out how to add a print button. It should be at the bottom of each post by the facebook/pinterest/email icons. Let us know how it works!

5. Hallie September 5, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

I’m really excited to try this AND find your blog! With the school year starting, I’m on the search for more variety for breakfast. This looks wonderful! I was wondering if you had any ideas for alternatives for bananas. My boys don’t like them:(. Do you think pumpkin sweetened with a little stevia would work?

• the PRIME pursuit September 5, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

Hallie, I would sub 1/2 cup of mashed sweet potato, or pumpkin. If you need sweetener, I would do 1-2 tbsp of honey or maple just to add an edge of sweetness–pumpkin is already inherently sweet, and you won’t need much. 🙂 Thanks for the compliments!!

6. Beth September 6, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

I just love following your blog and making your recipes. A million thanks for creating such delectable eating! My husband and our small girlies went Paleo last October for health reasons and I am thrilled at how we all are doing. I particularly loved your post on finding “Me Time.” I homeschool our little ones and as I am an older mom, I see the value in this short and sweet time to invest in what is really important. Thank you for your encouraging words. Blessings!

7. Corrie Broughton September 7, 2013 at 5:50 pm #

We made this yesterday morning and it was delish! I didn’t have any raisins on hand so I added some dark chocolate chips! A little grass-fed butter on top of that! Heaven:)) The kids loved it! We are also a homeschool family and I cook a “real” breakfast every morning and this was so easy I think it will be in our regular rotation.

8. Cait September 8, 2013 at 5:51 pm #

Looks yummy! Do you think I can use almond flour in place of the coconut flour?

• the PRIME pursuit September 8, 2013 at 7:18 pm #

Cait, Almond flour and coconut flour are not interchangeable. Coconut flour is tremendously dry/dehydrated and requires a large volume of liquid to create a palatable end-product. I would have to do some research to tell you how to convert this into almond flour. 🙂 Thanks for reading!

9. Heather September 9, 2013 at 7:58 am #

I made a double batch this morning for the family and we’re all enjoying it right now! I didn’t have baking powder or raisins so I subbed 1/2 tsp cream of tartar and chopped dates. Yum!

10. Jen Smith September 26, 2013 at 8:28 pm #

HI Leigh! I don’t have a food processor- can I use a blender and hand mix in the raisins and almonds? Miss you friend!!

• the PRIME pursuit September 26, 2013 at 9:27 pm #

Jen!! I think you can definitely do that, or, simply mash the bananas by hand in a large bowl…and then use a hand mixer for the rest of the ingredients…finally stir in the raisins and almonds by hand. Let me know if you liked it! Miss you too. Your name came up last weekend in our Sunday school class of all things. 🙂

• Jen Smith September 27, 2013 at 8:42 pm #

That is great- thanks so much for the quick reply! I’ll be making this for breakfast on Monday morning and I’ll let you know 🙂 – the Army is a small world 🙂

11. Polly Ann Blythe October 4, 2013 at 12:19 pm #

Only problem with this recipe…. It was so fantastic, I couldn’t stop eating :0)

12. maiohmai November 7, 2013 at 7:54 am #

there is no oatmeal? the name has oatmeal wth?

• the PRIME pursuit November 12, 2013 at 10:55 am #

It’s just a play on words, baked “no oatmeal.” Hope you enjoy it anyway!

13. Jes June 2, 2014 at 8:35 pm #

Hi, I just wanted to say that obviously that person on social media does not kids. We are not paleo but we try really hard to eat clean. We follow alot of the paleo guidelines but that’s most Coincidence. It is nice to allow my kids to have a special breaky every now and then. Id much rather them eat the paleo poptarts than 2 pieces of toast! Or even worse, conventional cereal.
    This recipe looks amazing too and I will definitely be trying it for breakfast. It is hard to keep kids interested, a 3 year old doesn’t want eggs for breakfast 7 days a week (neither do I).
    Thank you so much and all the other bloggers who share recipes I can cook my family to keep them interested in clean nourishing food, free from refined sugar, additives, preservatives and grains!!! U do an amazing job

14. Sheri February 21, 2016 at 4:59 pm #

Hi,

This tastes great. I was looking for another breakfast option for my kids. I had to double the cook time because even after it stopped jiggling in the center it was still too wet, if that makes sense. Is that supposed to be the consistency after 30-35 minutes or should be like cake, dry but moist?I am new to cooking with coconut flour.

Thanks for the recipe.