Stop Chopping Onions Every Night.

12 Apr

paleo sofrito recipeRemember how we have said the freezer is the new pantry?

My wonderful and beautiful friend Veronica let me in on a little secret.  I don’t know how I didn’t know about this, or why this is not already an American refrigerator staple.  Sofrito–it is a Puerto Rican cooking base.

This stuff is so convenient for almost any of your recipes…from soups to stir-frys, to ground meats.  Use this anytime you need a diced onion and green bell pepper, pressed garlic. Which for me is almost EVERY recipe.

Blend or food process 1 onion, 1 red pepper, 1 green pepper, 1 bunch cilantro, handful of garlic (5-6 cloves), a tomato and some green onions. You may need to add a drizzle of olive oil to help the blending. This makes a puree mixture, you can make it a little chunkier if you prefer.  It smells vibrant and is colorful. Store in your fridge if you use often, or in the freezer if not. You can portion it out in ice-cube trays or small plastic containers.

With the cilantro, the mixture has a distinct Latin flavor.  It smells like delicious salsa. If you omit the cilantro and the tomato, you will have a standard base for all your cooking needs.

Do yourself a favor.  Just because we are eating fresh, real, food does not mean we can’t take short cuts!

Enjoy!!

Leigh (via Roni)

20130412-160655.jpg

A delicious weekday meat sauce in the works, whipped up in a snap.

20130412-162735.jpg

store individual portions in your freezer

7 Responses to “Stop Chopping Onions Every Night.”

1. Andrea @Pencils and Pancakes April 12, 2013 at 7:57 pm #

Omg what a great idea..garlic, peppers and onions are also in almost every single one of my recipes!

• RH April 19, 2013 at 1:38 pm #

That’s brilliant! Why didn’t I ever think of doing that? I feel a bit stoopid now! Doh! Thanks so much for sharing

2. Julie April 23, 2013 at 11:23 am #

If you get an ice cube tray, just for the sofrito, you can freeze it and pop the cubes into a freezer bag, for easier storage. You need a tray just for sofrito though, or you’ll end up with sofrito-flavored water or iced tea or whatever cold beverage you like. Not yummy.

• the PRIME pursuit April 23, 2013 at 1:36 pm #

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. That would be a huge turnoff. I have had an automatic ice-maker for years now, so I dont even own an ice tray. 🙂

3. Slappy Slaps May 7, 2015 at 9:39 am #

What blender/processor or technique did you use to get the sofrito to look so good? Just the right amount of chunkiness and it has some liquid but not watery. Almost like cream. Did you liquify half and then pulse the other half into it? Thanks.

• the PRIME pursuit May 7, 2015 at 2:31 pm #

I use a food processor, (a cheaper Hamilton Beach one from WalMart) not a Vitamix. I process the onions and peppers until they are finely diced, then add in the cilantro and process until it is chopped in evenly. I don’t liquify, 🙂 I use this in so many recipes–just the other day I added it to an Indian Korma sauce and it was perfect!!

1. Veronica’s Perfect Pastelon | the PRIME pursuit - May 4, 2013

[…]  peeled, sliced, and browned under the broiler. *** 2 lbs ground meat (I prefer beef.) 1 c sofrito (aren’t you glad you have it on hand all the time now?) 1 small can tomato sauce 2 tsp salt […]