Cauliflower and Coconut Flour

25 Mar

photo

I was searching for something to pair with the soup I had simmering on the stove and I stumbled upon a French recipe for “cauliflower cake.” Since we are huge cauliflower fans, I could not resist giving it a go. It was deemed a winner when my husband and kids (who normally do not appreciate the sometimes dense texture of “alternative flour” baked goods) asked for seconds and thirds.

Below are two recipe options depending on the grain-free flour you have on hand. I’ve been on a long coconut flour kick. Let me count the reasons why:

1. No other flour comes close to its fiber content at 58%.
  2. It has the lowest net carb count of any flour.
  3. It’s mildly sweet.
  4. It’s packed with healthy fats, particularly lauric acid to support immunity–the only other natural source aside from coconut based products rich in lauric acid is breast milk–now that should tell you something right there!
  5. It’s mineral rich, particularly manganese to support bone health, thyroid function, nutrient absorption, the nervous system, and blood sugar balance.
  6. It’s relatively inexpensive and requires smaller quantities per recipe.
  7. It requires a ton of eggs for moisture which boosts the protein content of the final product. Great for balancing that macronutrient teeter-totter!

Coconut flour style

• 2 eggs
  • 2 cups blanched almond flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp garlic powder

Directions:

Preheat oven broiler. Place chopped cauliflower on foil lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper (extra–not included in ingredient list) and broil until fork tender and nicely roasted. Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients into large mixing bowl. Turn oven down to 350. Fold roasted cauliflower into batter. Spoon batter into well greased loaf pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Slice and serve. Refrigerate leftovers and re-heat in toaster oven.

While you are thinking about it, here are some more coconut flour based recipes that we love:

Muffins
Waffles
Pizza crust
Hawaiian wedding cake
Grilled cheese “sandwiches”
Donuts

Happy Monday,

10 Responses to “Cauliflower and Coconut Flour”

1. Andrea @Pencils and Pancakes March 31, 2013 at 10:15 am #

This looks very interesting I’ll have to try it.

• the PRIME pursuit April 2, 2013 at 8:54 am #

Awesome–thanks for checking it out. let us know if you liked it!! 🙂

2. croquecamille April 4, 2013 at 10:41 am #

So glad you found inspiration on my blog! The cauliflower cake has become a favorite around here, and I make it often. 🙂

3. Sharon January 10, 2014 at 8:23 pm #

Hi. Sorry for the dumb question. Does the 1/4 cup olive oil go in the bread mixture or is it to be used on the cauliflower for roasting?

• the PRIME pursuit January 10, 2014 at 8:54 pm #

No dumb questions here! The olive oil is for the batter. I just drizzle some extra on the cauliflower for roasting. Hope you enjoy it!

4. namers December 27, 2014 at 1:22 am #

Finally! I just started an anti fungal program for 3 weeks and of course, I miss my bread! I’ve tried 2 other recipes (and borrowed a Paleo book with no bread recipes!) and I had to discard them both. It was a huge waste of ingredients and truth be told, I’m a food stamp recipient with a limited budget. I had gone to a food bank where I was given a ginormous coral colored cauliflower and Googled that and coconut flour and viola!

I’m very pleased (I did not add the salt) with this bread and will even try to toast it tomorrow for breakfast.

Now if I can just lift those weights!

Thank you and I look forward to other baking recipe. I’m addicted to cocoa/almond butter cookies as well!

5. Chana January 25, 2015 at 8:11 pm #

Hi 🙂 I’m a vegan an I would like to know if I
    Can I substitute the eggs with chia and water ?

6. Shelly February 5, 2015 at 10:40 pm #

Must buy some coconut flour!

7. MY August 10, 2016 at 11:56 pm #

Hi! So i first put the cauliflower in the broiler then i put the batter in the oven right? Not in the broiler? Or put it back in the broiler?…..

1. 21 Ketogenic Bread Recipes [Paleo, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Dairy-Free] - June 15, 2016

[…] Cauliflower and Coconut Flour […]