Cottage Pie Cupcakes

26 Jan

All ready

I know I said last week that a muffin is always a muffin, unless it’s made out of meat. Well, Parents magazine did an adorable little spread on “Cupcakes for Dinner” with meatloaf-esque recipes that inspired me to give them a try. Here is my version of their Shepherd’s Pie “Cupcakes.” My kids loved them because they were super easy to eat and said,”Mmmmm mashed potato icing!”

Sweet potato topping
4-6 sweet potatoes or a butternut squash, cubed
1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
salt, pepper and cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut milk

Meat mixture
2lb ground pork (or, turkey or beef)
1 small onion, chopped
3 large carrots, chopped
3 eggs
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemary
crushed pecans for garnish

Preheat oven to 375. Toss cubed sweet potatoes with 2 Tbsp coconut oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Roast in oven for 30 minutes or until fork tender. Place in food processor, add coconut milk a little bit at a time, and pulse until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste, and set aside in separate bowl.

In same food processor bowl, add vegetables and pulse until finely chopped. Add meat and remainder of ingredients (minus crushed pecans) and pulse until well combined. Liberally grease muffin tins with coconut oil. Spoon meat mixture into muffin cups and then spoon and spread sweet potato mixture on top of meat mixture. Bake for 35-40 minutes until done. Let cool for a few minutes and remove from pan with narrow spatula. Top with crushed pecans and serve!

8 Responses to “Cottage Pie Cupcakes”

1. the PRIME pursuit January 26, 2013 at 5:06 pm #

Can’t WAIT to try these!! Great idea, thanks Heather!!

2. Minnie(@thelady8home) January 26, 2013 at 8:18 pm #

Too good. Sounding very tasty. Need to give this a try for sure.

3. Joni January 27, 2013 at 7:13 pm #

I’m going to try these this week!

4. Anne January 30, 2013 at 12:16 pm #

Love this! Can’t wait to make these tonight!!

5. michelle February 3, 2013 at 3:24 pm #

Made these this week and all 4 kids loved them. Thanks!

• the PRIME pursuit February 3, 2013 at 3:29 pm #

I’m so glad! Thanks for sharing, Michelle! I hope you are all doing well, we miss so much about NY!

Also, these freeze very well. I made a double batch the other night half cupcakes, half loaf style and the frozen leftovers re-heated really well in the oven on 350 for about 30min!

6. Joni February 6, 2013 at 6:57 pm #

Yea! We made these tonight and the girls loved helping. All three girls and their dad loved them. Reese hardly eats anything I make and she ate this! Yea!

7. Kristin March 9, 2013 at 11:11 pm #

Thanks so much, made these today after seeing them on Pinterest and they were great! Subbed half of a juicy pear for the tomato paste since we are avoiding tomatoes right now and added fresh garlic for flavor. My husband who has been on a pretty serious elimination diet loved them! Looking forward to trying some of your other recipes as well!