Pumpkin Crisp

26 Oct

A just-sweet-enough pumpkin dessert perfect for any fall table or celebration. Nutrient dense coconut milk replaces the usual condensed milk, a bit of honey or maple syrup replaces the processed sugar, and a buttery array of nuts replaces the usual insulin spiking refined flour crust. I love the way this turned out and the reviews from my taste testers (neighbors, friends, and sister!) were unanimously delish! May it be a nice primal friendly addition to your seasonal baking!

Pumpkin Mixture
4 cups fresh pumpkin or 2 15oz cans 100% pumpkin
1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
1 6oz can full fat coconut milk
3 eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cardamom

Crumb topping
1 1/2 cups finely crushed nuts (I used walnuts and pecans)
2 Tbsp almond flour
4 Tbsp coconut oil or butter, melted
1 tsp ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Whisk together all ingredients for pumpkin mixture until smooth.
  3. Pour into lightly greased pie plate or 8×8 baking dish.
  4. Combine all ingredients for crumb topping.
  5. Scatter on top of pumpkin mixture evenly.
  6. Bake in bottom half of oven for 25 minutes.
  7. Move to center rack for the last 15-20 minutes until done.
  8. Center should be firm and top nicely browned.
  9. Let set for a few minutes and serve warm, but leftovers are yummy cold too!

Enjoy,

11 Responses to “Pumpkin Crisp”

1. michelle October 26, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

Sounds fantastic! Thanks Heather. Can’t wait to try

2. the PRIME pursuit October 26, 2012 at 9:19 pm #

Thanks, Michelle! Let us know how it turns out! Hope you are all doing well!

3. wendyklassen October 27, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

So, I made this last night, and seriously had to hold my kids back or they would’ve eaten the whole thing at once. So good!! We finished it off this morning, and I’ll be picking up another pumpkin this afternoon so that I can make it again. Yum!! Thanks!!

• the PRIME pursuit October 29, 2012 at 9:35 pm #

Thanks for the feedback, Wendy! I am looking forward to making it this weekend for some friends. I hope then enjoy it as much as your family did!

4. Anonymous October 29, 2012 at 9:26 pm #

This looks amazing! I want to make it vegan so my friend can help me eat it but can’t really afford to experiment with my budget. Has anybody tried making this with flaxseed or chia in place of the egg? Or any thoughts on something else that would work?

• the PRIME pursuit October 29, 2012 at 9:56 pm #

I think a flax or chia seed replacement would work well (usually 1 Tbsp ground seeds with 3 Tbsp water simmered on stove until egg like consistency is achieved).
      I might try upping the pumpkin content by 1/4 cup to replace 1 of the eggs, and using the flax or chia seed replacement for the remaining 2 eggs. This might help maintain the pumpkin flavor while still adding something that will thicken/bind. Since it’s not a pie that has to stay together for slicing, you have a little more room for experimentation!
      Let us know how it turns out for you!

• Anonymous November 7, 2012 at 10:25 pm #

I made it with flaxseed. It didn’t really thicken up, and I cooked it for at least double the time. It tasted really good though and It was even better the next day when it was cold.

5. Heather Garcia Queen November 17, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

Thanks for this recipe! I recently adopted a GF primal diet and am still building my stockpile of good recipes. This one really hit the spot as I seek alternatives to the regular treats of autumn. When making this I mistakenly used a whole 15-oz can of coconut milk– but I added 2 TB of coconut flour for thickening and it came out just fine. Also, I added ground flax to the crisp topping. So delicious!!

6. Heather November 22, 2012 at 10:59 pm #

Thanks for the feedback, Heather! I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

7. Matt Castle November 25, 2015 at 10:47 pm #

This is the best crisp I’ve made. Other recipes are heavy on the almond flour in the topping and it comes out with a gritty texture. The heavier nut ratio gets it right, turns out great. Previous times making it I’ve found that the nuts in the topping burn a little once I move it up in the oven, so I kept on the lower rack and it browned perfectly. This is the third time making it for Thanksgiving and the extended family even loves it, they don’t give a thought to it being Paleo. Good work, Heather.

1. now we can have pumpkin pie | a conversation - December 29, 2013