Fun Shaped Chicken Nuggets

11 Oct

It seems every time we go to the grocery store one of my kids manages to spot the dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets and begins to beg for them repeatedly. I’ll admit that sometimes I give in because they are kids after all, and chicken in the shape of anything is just plain fun!

Last week I stood my ground though and decided we’d make our own fun shaped nuggets for a change. We were enjoying Fall break off from school, so we had an afternoon of good ol’ fashioned Β home economics. The result was delicious–not to mention grain and crazy chemical free!

Chicken Mixture:

1.5 lb chicken breasts, cooked (try boiling them and storing the leftover broth!)
1 small onion, roughly chopped
1 large apple, cored and sliced
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder

Breading Mixture:

1 cup blanched almond flour
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut, finely shredded
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
olive oil, for brushing tops before baking

1. Preheat oven to 375. Put all ingredients for chicken mixture into food processor. Pulse until nicely combined into a dough like mixture.
  2. Place mixture on parchment paper and press out flat until about 1/2 inch thick. Use cookie cutters to make shapes. Re-flatten and keep making shapes until mixture is gone. (My son kept sneaking the scraps and giggling as if he just snuck some cookie dough–hilarious!)
  3. Combine almond flour, coconut, and spices on large plate. Place chicken shapes in mixture and flip to coat both sides. Feel free to get creative here with different spices if you like!
  4. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Brush tops with olive oil.
  5. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Broil for a minute or two at the end if you want them extra crispy. Serve plain or with my kiddo’s favoriteΒ friendly ketchup.
  6. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge. They’re great lunchbox protein options or re-heat well in the toaster oven at home!

Recipe adapted fromΒ here.

7 Responses to “Fun Shaped Chicken Nuggets”

1. Barbara October 11, 2012 at 9:50 am #

What a fantastic mom you are! I love this idea. My kiddos are all teens now, but I have a feeling they would still want to give these a try. Thanks! Love you blog, by the way. πŸ™‚

• the PRIME pursuit October 11, 2012 at 10:04 am #

Thank you, Barbara! You are too kind. They certainly have their share of traditional chicken nuggets when life gets busy,, but its fun to teach them how to make them healthier and why they are healthier! Thanks for reading!

2. Pam Shelmidine October 11, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

What a great idea! These are going on the menu for next week for sure!

3. Jolene January 16, 2013 at 11:46 am #

Do you think you could freeze these (before baking) to have on hand?

• the PRIME pursuit January 16, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

Jolene, I bet they would and very easy to heat since the chicken is pre-cooked. Last time I made them I froze the leftovers (post baking) and they were good out of the toaster oven re-heated. I’ll give them a try this weekend and let you know for sure!

• Jolene January 17, 2013 at 12:05 am #

Thanks! That would be great! Let me know how long you re-heat for from a frozen state, if you can remember. Made them tonight to try (my brother has celiacs so eats gluten free) and I also used a drinking cup to cut out some patties- they were a HUGE hit in our home! I breaded them with the almond flour and ground up rice chex instead of the coconut (seasoning the same). My brother is even taking on to work for lunch tomorrow so you know they must be good πŸ™‚

• the PRIME pursuit January 26, 2013 at 1:06 pm #

Hi Jolene! I had the best luck freezing leftovers after baking in a freezer safe bag. I just reheated them at 350 in my toaster oven for 10-15 minutes and they were great. My kids said they needed some sauce this time, perhaps they get a little dry after freezing. I opted for a gluten free ketchup and an organic ranch!