Smoked Chicken Stuffed Poblano

14 Apr

Have you ever eaten something at a restaurant that was so good, you still daydream about it?  This is one of those meals.  When we lived near Austin, one of my all time favorite restaurants was Z Tejas.  If you live in the Austin area, run.  Now.  Order this meal.  It was so good I was floored.  (I am not usually impressed with restaurant food–especially after going paleo!)   This recipe sounds like a kitchen-sink concoction, but TRUST me, the flavor combination is just outstanding, and worth the effort it took to recreate.

For the peppers:

4 poblano peppers, halved, seeded.   You can also use bell pepper in a pinch.

Roast (or GRILL!) the poblanos on both sides, (I used my broiler) until the skin peels.  The texture should be tender but not mush!

Filling:

1 lg or 2 sm onions diced
1.5  c chopped dried apricots
1.5 – 2  c green salsa
1/2 c raisins
1 c chopped pecans or pepitas (or whatever nuts you have on hand)
4 cups cooked diced chicken
2 tsp allspice
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot or skillet, sautee the onions and apricots in 2-3 tbsp oil of your choice until translucent and soft.  Add the green salsa and spices, and simmer until most of the juice is evaporated.  Stir in the raisins and pecans and diced chicken, and cook until it is all heated up.

Chipotle Cream Sauce:

1 c mayo
1/2 c greek yogurt
1 chipotle pepper with 1 tbsp of the adobo sauce
3-4 tbsp lime juice
1-2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp salt

In a food processor, blend the chipotle pepper, the adobo sauce, lime juice and honey until pureed.  Add in the mayo and yogurt, and the rest of the spices, and blend until well mixed.

Stuff the cooked poblanos with the piping hot chicken/apricot mixture, and top with the chipotle cream sauce.

Enjoy!

7 Responses to “Smoked Chicken Stuffed Poblano”

1. Fran April 14, 2012 at 9:37 am #

That sounds delish!!

• Anonymous May 14, 2012 at 8:20 pm #

We tried this tonight and couldn’t pick our favorite flavor, so yummy!

• the PRIME pursuit May 15, 2012 at 4:55 am #

I would love to know who tried it?!! Glad you liked. Thanks for letting me know!

2. the PRIME pursuit April 14, 2012 at 9:51 am #

I had the privilege of watching Leigh make this! Smelled and tasted so yummy! And, the chipotle cream sauce is beyond good!
    Enjoy,

• Eric April 15, 2012 at 6:08 am #

I look forward to the next time she makes this. The whole dish was great and I think my favorite part was the chipotle cream sauce. I want to pour it over all my food.

3. Heather May 17, 2012 at 2:11 pm #

This is quickly becoming a favorite! The leftover chicken is perfect for snacking and lunches, and the leftover chipotle cream is perfect for everything from omelets to a dip for veggies!

1. Simple Versatile Pulled Pork « the PRIME pursuit - May 1, 2012

[…] You may have to go back and reseason it to taste after it is cooked.  I always serve the meat with my favorite barbecue sauce on the side.  It is also good with a few shakes of apple cider vinegar.  Next time I will probably use my chipotle cream sauce. […]