Unwrapped Gyoza

9 Apr

I got inspired to write this recipe during my last pregnancy.  I was so craving the gyoza I used to enjoy so often.  It dawned on me that I could simply pick out the insides of the dumplings, leave the potsticker-dough behind, and maintain paleo-compliance.  But that would be just plain rude table manners.

Here was my solution.

“Gyoza”

1 head cabbage shredded/chopped and steamed/sautéed.  Toss with sesame oil, tamari (or soy sauce), pepper of choice, and sesame seeds.  Set cabbage aside.

In a large bowl, mix together:

1 lb ground pork
3 green onions finely chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp of peeled, grated, fresh ginger
1 egg beaten
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
salt and pepper to taste

Mix these ingredients together.   Form meatballs.   Sautée over med-high heat until done, or bake at 375 for 15 -20 min.

Sauce:
1 C chicken stock
4 tbsp arrowroot (or 2 tbsp cornstarch)
2 tbsp honey
4 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
2 tbsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp cayenne

Whisk sauce ingredients together.  Over medium heat, bring to a simmer, stirring often until thick.

Serve over the bed of cabbage, drizzle the sauce over them, and garnish with cilantro and lime juice.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

8 Responses to “Unwrapped Gyoza”

1. Heather April 9, 2012 at 10:38 am #

This looks delicious, I might just be trying this tonight!

2. Anonymous April 9, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

looks yummy! Another recipe I will need to try! thanks!!!

3. Heather April 16, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

Made this last week and the kids and I loved it! We were eating the leftover meatballs all weekend. I didn’t have time for the sauce so I imagine it would have been even more delicious! Thanks Leigh, it’s a definite do-over for our family!

4. Barb May 2, 2012 at 11:06 am #

Hi: these looks great! I think I see almond flour in the photos, but I don’t see it listed in the ingredients. Do you use almond meal in the recipe?
    Thanks,
    Barb

• the PRIME pursuit May 2, 2012 at 11:54 am #

Barb, you are right! I have used almond flour and not used it. It is not necessary unless you cannot get your meatballs to hold together. I think it depends on the brand of ground pork. Sometimes the meat seems really loose, then sometimes its thick enough on its own. If you need more of a binder, toss in 1/4 c of almond flour (per 1 lb of ground pork). Thanks for reading!

5. Kristy July 26, 2012 at 8:11 am #

This was fantastic, Leigh! We all loved it and the kids kept saying how DEEE-li-SHUS it was. I can’t get them to eat cabbage except when cleverly disguised, so they passed on that part, but I love sauteed cabbage, so I loved all of it. We will definitely be having this again!

1. Let’s Get Real Here | the PRIME pursuit - April 30, 2013