Zaza ganoush

26 Mar

I set out to make baba ganoush for some company on Friday but realized a little too late that I forgot to buy eggplant.  I stared at the large supply of zucchini in my fridge (I was planning on making a big ol’ batch of zoodles this weekend!) and wondered if it would make a good sub.  Turns out it did!  Everyone devoured the final product and adoringly named it “zaza ganoush!” Another name option was “zuzu ganoush,” but that was just too close to the annoying hamster toys my kids strangely adore.

4 large zucchini
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp tahini
3 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1-2 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375. Cube zucchini, add olive oil and coat generously, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Scatter on foil lined pan and roast zucchini approximately 45 minutes or until tender. Take out of oven and let cool slightly. This step can be done far ahead of time if necessary or more convenient.
Add roasted zucchini and the remainder of the ingredients to food processor and pulse until nice and creamy. Add salt, pepper, and/or more spices to taste after initial run. (I’m notorious for adding a bit more of everything towards the end!)

This was delicious both slightly warm straight out of the food processor and chilled the next day. I admit to adding leftovers to jazz up my kale omelet at breakfast, my spinach and chicken salad for lunch, and scraping every last bit of the container with cucumbers and carrots for a snack all day! I think this dip/sauce has endless possibilities! YUM!

Enjoy,

6 Responses to “Zaza ganoush”

1. Karen March 26, 2012 at 7:43 am #

This sounds like a winner…I can see why everyone enjoyed it.

2. the PRIME pursuit March 26, 2012 at 8:20 am #

innovative, Heather!! Great way to use up the beautiful zucchinis you had on hand. Thanks for sharing! Love!!

3. the PRIME pursuit March 26, 2012 at 8:21 am #

Also–an important reason to have those pantry/refrigerator staples on hand, so you are ready whenever you have a spur of the moment inspiration!

4. Emily March 30, 2012 at 6:50 am #

I’m making this today! Thanks for posting… maybe I will go and make it right NOW… for my mid morning snack! HA, 🙂

5. Anthony April 2, 2012 at 7:04 am #

This was excellent. Any other suggestions for ways to use the dip (besides just for carrots and chips)?

I’m going to try and make a tuna salad sandwich with this dip. I’ve done it before with hummus. The hummus replaces the mayonnaise and you use pesto instead of relish. Add a few shaved carrots and then tomatos (if you like them, I don’t) and you’ve got a healthy version of a tuna sandwich that’s still pretty good. I think this Zaza will work well.

Other suggestions?

6. the PRIME pursuit April 2, 2012 at 7:47 am #

The tuna salad idea sounds fantastic, I might just have that for lunch today! I think it would also work well with salmon salad.

Other ideas:
    -top or stuff your omelet
    -pair with our herb crackers
    -spread over chicken breasts or salmon filets and bake in oven
    -mix into ground meat for a little zing to a traditional burger
    -mix into canned tuna or salmon with a little almond flour to form tuna/salmon burgers, grill on medium heat
    -thin it out with lemon juice and water to make a salad dressing

Let us know if you come up with anything else and THANKS for your feedback!