Just say no to flip-flops

21 Mar

My husband showed me this video from Mobility WOD a year ago and proclaimed that we should never wear flip-flops again. I didn’t think much of it at the time because we were living in California, and I selfishly did not want to give up sporting my Chacos year round.

Fast forward to next Spring. My feet have been in some form of boot or shoe for the Winter and when the weather reached record highs this week in NY, I caved and broke out my Chaco flips. Let me tell you….after yesterday, I’m going along with my husband and never wearing flip-flops again.

A couple short walks to and from my kid’s school lead to random “charley horses” in the arches of my feet for the remainder of the evening and slightly swollen ankles.  I have a feeling my body was trying to tell me something!

I encourage you to check out the video, but this is basic run-down of what happens to your feet when you wear flip-flops:

you clench your toes to keep your shoes on plantar fascia at the bottom of your foot shortens  calf muscles get tight and stressed  ankle mobility issues  achilles pain  knee pain  sciatic nerve pain

I’m not telling you to forego your flip-flops all together, but maybe save them for walks from your beach chair to the pool this Summer. Below are my favorite ways to beat the flip-flop blues and save my feet and legs for more important things like 400s, box jumps, and burpees!

-Sanuk Sidewalk Surfers
-Toms (they have nice “air conditioned” versions new for Spring and ballet flats!)
-Chacos with the back strap
-Converse Chucks
-New Balance Minimus
-Keen Sandals with the back strap or full heel
-Going barefoot in my yard or short jaunts to the park on clean streets
-When in doubt, do the toe test (if you scrunch your toes at all, search for a model with more support!)

Happy Spring,

8 Responses to “Just say no to flip-flops”

1. the PRIME pursuit March 21, 2012 at 9:00 am #

awesome post, i will definitely reconsider my footwear choices this year…don’t want to lose all the strength I have built up over the fall and winter!

2. Katie Paul March 21, 2012 at 9:01 am #

I always hated flip flops…they never felt comfortable on me, and I guess my body was trying to tell me something! Lucky me, being tall, I also never got in the habit of wearing heels either. I’m sure they’re not good for the body.

• the PRIME pursuit March 21, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

I definitely didn’t get the tall gene in our family, but I can count the number of times I’ve ever worn high heels probably on one hand! High heels can throw your whole body out of whack because of the angle of your poor foot. They too can also cause problems ranging from ankle mobility to headaches!
      Thanks for reading, Katie! Miss you guys!

3. Laura Carlton March 21, 2012 at 11:38 am #

LOVE my Toms!!! shocked at the built in support…that is why I was willing to “drink the koolaid” regarding those shoes… But Heather, I live at the beach…the keens aren’t cute enough….oh woe is me.

• the PRIME pursuit March 21, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

Yes, I wore my TOMS for the first time on what turned out to be an 8hour walking tour of NYC, and I was the only one without aching feet or hot spots at the end of the day!

I feel you on the cuteness level of the Keens….how about these: http://www.invisibleshoe.com/store/
      I didn’t write about them because I’ve never personally tried them but they look interesting. Also, some of the trendy Gladiator type sandals have enough ankle/heel support to keep you toes from scrunching!

Thanks for your feedback 🙂

4. Scott October 7, 2012 at 1:54 pm #

Another reason to wear my Vibram Five Fingers everywhere!

5. Vanessa December 12, 2012 at 12:05 am #

Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic hvweoer , I’d fguerid I’d ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa? My blog goes over a lot of the same topics as yours and I think we could greatly benefit from each other. If you’re interested feel free to send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you! Great blog by the way!

6. whoah this blog is excellent i like reading your posts.
    Stay up the good work! You realize, lots of people are searching round for this info,
    you can aid them greatly.