Pancakes that made our morning better

10 Mar

The morning started off a little rough…middle daughter woke up feeling a bit sick and oldest daughter was already whining about what I was going to “make” her eat for breakfast. So, I set out to whip up these pancakes from Elana’s Pantry they usually all enjoy, but needed to make some adaptations. I gave up honey for Lent and I was too hungry not to partake!

Fast forward a half an hour later and they turned out fluffy and yummy! They were devoured by all, even my husband (who generally doesn’t like anything almond flour based) snuck a few. The one banana added just enough sweetness without turning them completely banana flavored. Pancakes aside, I’d also use them as a medium for over-easy eggs “dippy” eggs or nut butter sandwiches.

• 3 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp water
  • 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp melted butter (I bet coconut oil would work too!)
  • 1 banana, mashed well
  • 1 1/2 cups almond flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • butter or coconut oil for cooking

Heat large skillet to medium heat. Combine all wet ingredients, add dry ingredients and mix until a nice batter forms. Melt butter or coconut oil on skillet. Spoon desired amount onto skillet–smaller seems to work better and kids just generally love things that are more their size. Flip once bubbles begin to form and bottoms look set, and cook on other side. Continue until batter is gone, adding oil or butter as necessary. Serve plain with a side of fresh fruit, eggs, or yogurt!

Happy weekend,

19 Responses to “Pancakes that made our morning better”

1. Kristen March 11, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

These were delicious! We made them this morning. We used coconut oil and didn’t miss the honey at all… My crew took down the whole batch in no time! Jim and I managed to sneak a few bites when the kids weren’t looking, and we loved them, too. Thanks!

• the PRIME pursuit March 11, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

awesome!! thanks for the feedback! we ate them too this morning. Eric is always happy to have them on hand too, because he uses them as “bread” ha.

2. the PRIME pursuit March 12, 2012 at 6:45 am #

So glad! Next time, make a double batch 🙂

3. J September 26, 2012 at 8:13 am #

Way to freaking dry for a batter. 1 tbsp of water? Are you sure? My batter was like slightly damp sand.

• the PRIME pursuit September 26, 2012 at 8:46 am #

ouch! But thanks for the feedback. I will let Heather speak to this one, but have you done much baking with almond flour? The “batter” is nothing like the runny, glutinous consistency of conventional pancake batter. You can always add more water (or coconut milk!!) if your batter is a little off.

• the PRIME pursuit September 26, 2012 at 9:36 pm #

Yes, baking with almond flour has its challenges. I’ve found this recipe to yield the best results, but here are a few factors to consider in the future:

-Ensure to add the Tbsp of melted butter/coconut oil to the batter, and then use additional to coat the griddle pan. I’m not sure that this was clear in my write up.
        -Make sure your banana is very well mashed almost to the point of a thick liquid. I like to use a mini chopper.
        -If your banana is small, use two.
        -Brand of almond flour. I am a huge fan of JK Gourmet blanched almond flour. I’ve found that other brands (particularly Bobs Red Mill) yield very inconsistent results.
        -Add a tsp of extra water or unsweetened coconut milk at a time if the batter is still too dry.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Let us know if they turn out better for you next time!

Best,

4. April September 29, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

Hmmmm…..I wonder if this would work with pumkin in place of the banana? I’ll be the guinea pig!

• the PRIME pursuit September 29, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

I bet they would! I might just have to try that tomorrow! Add some pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla extract and I bet they’d be perfect. Let us know how they turn out for you!

5. Debbie January 3, 2013 at 10:28 pm #

I would love a replacement for almond flour. On the allergy list 😦

6. Amber September 5, 2013 at 12:14 pm #

Ever make these to freeze for later use??

• the PRIME pursuit September 5, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

Yes, I often freeze leftovers and re-heat in either microwave or toaster oven.

7. Mishka September 18, 2013 at 6:06 pm #

These are epic! So yummy.

8. Kiara December 27, 2013 at 12:48 am #

How many do these yield? Shame if I made too many, and leftovers got thrown out.

• the PRIME pursuit December 27, 2013 at 8:46 am #

The recipe makes about 20-25 mini pancakes. As for leftovers, they can be frozen and re-heated. Enjoy!

9. Jenneke January 25, 2014 at 4:31 am #

Hello,

Absolutely loved these! I added scoop of protein powder (blue bonnet vanilla) and they turned out great. Cold leftovers are excellent for lunch box the next day…..!

1. Fat Loss and the Paleolithic Diet « the PRIME pursuit - March 23, 2012

[…]  Paleo baked goods (pancakes, muffins, granola, cookies, larabars, and all other “paleo” confections) are treats. […]

2. 45 Amazing Paleo Pancake Recipes - October 14, 2014