Chicken Tikka Masala hold the Naan

2 Mar

One of my millions of favorite things about living in Monterey once upon a time was going to the Farmers Market every Tuesday and getting Chicken Tikka Masala from a local vendor. While our love for it started in the form of a naan (straight from the tandoor) wrap, the chicken and sauce alone seemed to taste even more delicious after our primal switch. The other day I felt the need to somehow replicate this dish and while it could never rival the original, it transported us back to the farmers market and was devoured by the whole family (even my usually-suspect-of-anything-spicy seven year old!). I paired it with riced cauliflower to soak up the yummy extra sauce and steamed broccoli for extra color. Another great plus is that this meal took me from chicken that still needed to be thawed at 445pm to dinner on the table by 6!

Bring me back to Monterey Chicken Tikka Masala

1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 14oz can diced tomatoes
1  6oz can full fat coconut milk
1 Tbsp arrowroot powder
1/2 tsp salt

Melt butter in large skillet. Add chicken, onions, and lemon juice. Cook and stir until chicken is near done. Add the spices and stir for a few minutes. Add tomatoes and stir. Mix the arrowroot powder and salt into the coconut milk and slowly add to the skillet. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer until the sauce thickens to your liking. Serve with cauliflower rice!

For the cauliflower rice: Clean and chop one large head of cauliflower, pulse in food processor until a rice like consistency is achieved. Melt 2Tbsp butter in sauce pan, add riced cauliflower, salt and pepper. Add 1/4 cup chicken broth or coconut milk and any other spices you might like. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often. This time I used coconut milk, 1 tsp or so of curry powder, and then used the same stirring spoon from the chicken dish so some of the flavors would transfer to the “rice.”

Enjoy,

13 Responses to “Chicken Tikka Masala hold the Naan”

1. Erika Liodice March 2, 2012 at 9:45 am #

I’ve been looking for a good tikka masala recipe. Thanks for sharing!

2. Katie Paul March 2, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

Yay! Someone else in the family that likes Indian food! I just bought a big head of cauliflower and I knew you could give me something wonderful and new to do with it…Thank you!

3. the PRIME pursuit March 2, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

Awesome Erika! If you prefer a lot of sauce you can double everything but the chicken and onions. Let us know how it turns out!

Katie–yes, not too many adventurous eaters in our family–or, shall I say among our parents! I’ve become quite the spice addict these days, trying to delve into new and interesting ways to cook! Good luck with the cauliflower–it has definitely become a staple for us–so versatile!

4. Pasta Princess March 2, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

This sounds amazing. thanks for sharing!

5. Kristen March 9, 2012 at 1:49 pm #

Dumb sourcing question: where can you get arrowroot powder? It comes up a lot in primal/paleo cooking, but I haven’t seen it. Adams? Anywhere that’s not the commissary? (That could be my problem… I have a hard time getting out!)

• the PRIME pursuit March 9, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

No question is ever stupid! The one I have is Bobs Red Mill. There is a chance it is at the commissary by that section, but I’ve definitely seen it at Adams! Let me know if you’re unsuccessful, you can just have some of mine!

Best,

• the PRIME pursuit March 9, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

You can get it at Adams. Whole Foods. They also have it at Penzey’s in the Mall. I have a lot of it over here if you need some.

6. Fran March 20, 2012 at 9:14 pm #

Made this tonight – tasty! Will definitely make it again! If anyone needs any garam masala, I have a HUGE jar of it now…willing to share! 😉

7. kristinwblack May 17, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

I used to live in Monterey, too, and TOTALLY MISS those tandoori naan wraps! Not to mention the farmer’s market and the constant serenade of seals 🙂 Good times!

• the PRIME pursuit May 17, 2012 at 3:23 pm #

Me too! I think of it every day for sure. Let me know how you think the recipe measures up!
      Best,

8. Priya August 3, 2017 at 4:23 am #

Awsome Recipe. Thanks for sharing.

1. Let’s Get Real Here | the PRIME pursuit - April 30, 2013