Creamy Mushroom “Risotto”

17 Feb

I have had a lot of people ask me about side dishes, and to be honest I get pretty lazy…I am a big fan of steaming a pot of frozen veggies and calling it a night.  But every so often, we crave something more sophisticated, decadent and comforting.  Let me just tell you.  This stuff was amazing.  Please don’t get sick of my posting recipes based on cauliflower and its derivatives!

Here is what I made tonight:

Creamy Mushroom “Risotto”

1 head cauliflower, quartered, cored, processed into “grits”
1/2 onion finely diced
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp each of garlic powder and pepper of your choice

16 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
6 ounces full-fat coconut milk
1/2 c dry white wine (optional)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt

2 tablespoons of ghee or butter
3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley

Cut the head of cauliflower into quarters, remove the core.  Place it in a food processor and pulse until it looks like grits.  I had to do this in 2 batches.  Heat oil on medium high and add onions, cook until translucent.  Place cauliflower-grits on top of the onions and let it toast until brown.  Toss them around in the pan occasionally.  Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  They take about 10 minutes to soften.

Meanwhile, heat coconut and olive oil in a second frying pan.  (I know.  I hate using up two pans, but this will be worth it!)  Add in mushrooms, and saute until they are soft and standing in its own liquid.  (Don’t discard the liquid!)  This took about 10 minutes.  Stir in coconut milk, white wine, and salt.  Simmer a few more minutes, then turn off the burner and leave that pot alone.

Add the mushrooms with all the liquid to the toasted cauliflower.  Mix together..the mixture will be thick but creamy!  Toss in the 2 tablespoons of ghee/butter and parsley.

Everyone in my family ate well tonight.  There were no leftovers.

Enjoy!!

10 Responses to “Creamy Mushroom “Risotto””

1. trixfred30 February 17, 2012 at 6:32 am #

that is amazing risotto without rice!

2. Laura Carlton February 17, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

going to get the cauliflower right now. This. looks. fabulous! YUM

3. jonijimstar February 21, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

I’m trying this recipe tonight! I can’t wait!

• the PRIME pursuit February 21, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

please let me know how it turned out. hope you enjoy it!! p.s. bookshelf looks great thanks!

4. Amber April 17, 2012 at 8:48 am #

So I made this last night. Fully expecting a big o pile of crap (sorry, I haven’t had a good turnout w/ cauliflower substitutions). Anyway, I had already had the cauliflower cut up before the hubby got home, so he asked what it was for dinner and I said “rice”. He’s a full on Cross-fit buff, so he got this forlorn, I’m not going to be able to eat look. So then I said it was Paleo andhe got all excited.

Anyway, this was delicious!!! My hubby couldn’t figure out what it was until I told him it was cauliflower, he was surprised. He asked for it again tonight 🙂 This is a definate keeper, thank you!

• the PRIME pursuit April 17, 2012 at 9:14 am #

Amber, thanks for the feedback, I take it as a compliment! I am so glad it turned out for you guys. I am finding that cauliflower can be masked rather well if you get a little creative. Have you tried the sausage/spinach breakfast casserole? Its super. Have a great day! leigh

5. Heather May 28, 2012 at 9:31 am #

This was awesome, Leigh! My whole family loved it. I am now finishing up the leftovers with poached eggs for breakfast!

6. Michelle Garland February 13, 2013 at 5:23 pm #

If I cant use white wine should I substitute with water or just leave it out?

• the PRIME pursuit February 13, 2013 at 6:00 pm #

if it seems like it needs more liquid for the right consistency, add a little water or broth if you have it on hand. 🙂 The wine is really for that authentic “risotto” flavor and really you do not want this to be soupy, just creamy goodness!!

1. For the love of cauliflower | the PRIME pursuit - March 1, 2013

[…] Casserole Maple “Grits” Pudding Spicy Cashew Chicken with Toasted Cauliflower Rice Creamy Mushroom “Risotto” “Faux” Lenta Polenta Cauliflower Zucchini Pizza […]