Do You Miss Cold Cereal?

28 Aug

I came across this idea and recipe  last night on the CrossFit BelAir website, and I was so excited that I ran to the kitchen and threw it together as fast as I could!

My hubby is a HUGE fan of cereal, it was one of the hardest things for him to give up.  He has been eating mixed nuts with raisins and almond milk for years now, and it just feels–wrong!  Yeah, so this is basically the same thing, but it seems better.  :)

Also, I really love having cereal-like foods for the kids because they love the variety!  And because it has a high caloric density, I know it will keep them fueled all morning.

This is fast, sweet, savory, nutty, crunchy and comforting.  It’s like a muesli, or a granola, and it was absolutely divine smothered in creamy, coconutty, milky goodness.

Here is what I did–no measuring!

one-half apple cored and roughly diced

handful of sliced almonds

handful of pitted, chopped dates

handful of unsweetened coconut

generous dose of cinnamon; 1 pinch of salt

Pulse in the food processor to desired consistency–smaller is better for the little ones!  Serve with almond milk, or creamy coconut milk.  (Taste of Thai brand, preferably!)

Thanks to Don & Mel, and CFBA!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

About these ads

14 Responses to “Do You Miss Cold Cereal?”

1. joniimstar August 28, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

I love cereal! Can’t wait to try this!

2. Anonymous August 28, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

YUMMY!!!! I actually don’t like cereal, but, this looks tastey and i’m going to try it for snack… minus the “milk” :) can’t wait!
    :) Amanda

3. Anonymous August 29, 2012 at 3:31 pm #

Stan thought it tasted like a carmel apple! Yum

4. the PRIME pursuit September 10, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

Eating this right now as a snack with unsweetened almond milk. Too yummy! I love the crisp crunch from the apple!

• the PRIME pursuit September 10, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

Thinking this would also be a delicious topping for a grilled chicken salad or as a stand alone dessert salad with a bit of whipped coconut milk!

5. Wendy September 26, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

Another winner!! The whole team loved it! AG said it’s the best cereal she’s EVER had! She’s right!

6. the PRIME pursuit October 20, 2012 at 8:34 am #

Instead of using coconut or almond milk, this morning I used 3 heaping Tbsp of my favorite protein powder (hammer 100% whey vanilla) with water. For me, this is the practical way to enjoy this yummy snack and still get the protein I need for a meal!
    Best,

7. Kimberly Priesman October 13, 2013 at 9:47 am #

This was fantastic!! Thank you! I made a really large portion and spread it out on a baking sheet lined with parchment, left the oven door open slightly & baked on a low temp (170) for a few hours. It kept fresh in the pantry for several days. Yummmm

8. FoolishCop February 16, 2014 at 6:48 am #

Yowser! This cereal is awesome! If there’s one thing I’ve missed more than anything since starting my paleo diet is a bowl of cereal and cold milk. Since discovering the joy and fun of making almond milk the other day, I’ve been on a quest of a paleo-compliant cereal that would taste great. This more than fit the bill! I actually made a much larger batch up and have put it in a canning jar to have it readily available to eat for breakfast each morning, although it’s pretty fast to make on its own. Thank you!

• the PRIME pursuit February 16, 2014 at 1:00 pm #

Great feedback!! I am so glad you tried it. I did find that the leftovers are less crunchy–I think the juice from the apple makes things soften a little…but it still tastes just as good. :) Thanks for letting us know! –Leigh

1. Marvelous in My Monday! - September 10, 2012

[...] The Prime Pursuit~Paleo Cereal [...]

2. Totally making this for the kids tomorrow | Clan of the Food Freak - October 29, 2012

[...] From PRIME pursuit. Used without permission, I’m afraid. I’m always looking for something different for the kids. Even they get sick of bacon and eggs everyday. This will be good! [...]

3. Chocolate Milkshakes for Breakfast? | Womb to Grow Denver, Angela Seeling - September 5, 2013

[…] week, I made this delicious cold meusli-like cereal and everyone loved it. I made it on a morning when we didn’t have much food in the house and […]

4. The Smiths Go Paleo » how & why we changed the way we eat » paleo cold breakfast cereal - October 21, 2013

[…]   […]

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 537 other followers