Easy Homemade Beef Jerky

1 Aug

I love beef jerky, my kids love beef jerky, who doesn’t love beef jerky? The problem is 1. it’s expensive and 2. it’s usually loaded up with preservatives and sugar. Our power went out the other night and the contents of my freezer did not make it through. I had 2 pounds of now thawed ground beef that needed to be used that day and we already had dinner plans.  I could have made-ahead a meal like meatballs or stuffed peppers, but decided to get creative instead.

I first stumbled upon this video that inspired me to give it a try. It turns out there are quite a few resources about making your own jerky online. I don’t have a dehydrator (hint…hint…for when my husband reads this) so I tried the oven method. The results were yummy and according to my kids “delicious and not hard to chew!” Hard to chew is a huge factor with anything involving meat for my middle daughter, by the way.

• 2 lbs ground beef (I’ve read a lower fat content works  best, I used 90/10. I bet ground bison would be awesome!)
  • 1/4 cup gluten-free Tamari
  • 2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder (I love Penzey’s toasted onions)
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger

Preheat oven to 200. Mush ingredients together well (take off your rings and get in their with your hands!). Roll out to slightly less than 1/4 inch thickness on dough board or parchment paper. Cut into desired strips. Hmmm….perhaps next time I’ll try cookie cutters. I’m thinking that heart-shaped beef jerky for school lunches sound like an awesome idea!

Place on parchment lined baking sheets, put in oven, stick a wooden spoon in your oven door to crack it open slightly, and bake for 4-6 hours. Check them at 4 hours, turn over, and bake for another 1-2 hours depending on your oven and thickness of beef. I baked mine for 4 hours, turned off the oven and let them sit in the turned off oven for another two hours. I left them out on the counter and we snacked on them for two days. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for about a week or in the freezer if you decide to make a big batch.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Notes: I did not marinate my meat mixture, but the choice is yours depending on how much you prepare ahead. Experiment with different spice combinations and let us know how they turn out. Red pepper flakes would have been delicious in this but not exactly kid friendly! Next time I think I’ll try it Italian with basil, garlic, oregano and a bit of red wine vinegar!

Best,

About these ads

9 Responses to “Easy Homemade Beef Jerky”

1. Anonymous August 1, 2012 at 7:56 am #

I think I will need to give this a try! Thanks for another great recipe!! :)

Amanda

2. Jenn L (@DisRunner) August 1, 2012 at 8:19 am #

I’ve never thought to use ground beef for jerky! And this method totally saves my wallet from buying a dehydrator. Will definitely give it a try, thanks!

• the PRIME pursuit August 1, 2012 at 8:23 am #

I know, I always figured it would be too complicated so I never tried it! Thank goodness for the wealth of paleo/primal resources online!
      Let us know how it turns out when you try it!

3. Kim Kemmerer August 1, 2012 at 9:55 am #

I am absolutely going to try this. Thanks!!!

4. thisisourhappiness August 21, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

Found your site yesterday (searching for PlanetBox ideas!) – and made this jerky last night! My boys (8 & 5 1/2) are loving it and asking for more&more&more =) We had 2lbs of bison in the fridge so it was perfect. Next time I might try to make it a little thinner?? That was my plan when I first pulled them out of the oven… but they are great – so I’m not too worried about it =) ~Nicole

5. adashofmeg April 18, 2013 at 5:38 pm #

WOW I need to make this!

6. ticee graham August 8, 2014 at 3:07 am #

I’m excited to try this. We live in Alaska and the moose we hunt and process and freeze is a major staple of our diet.
    One thing I did notice was that there was no fresh-ground pepper mentioned in your recipe. From my past forays into the jerky world this is typically a must (and could hopefully bridge the gap between you wanting to put in red pepper and it not being ‘kid-friendly’).
    Can’t wait to experiment on this great idea!!!

1. “Lara”balls Meet Cookie Cutters and the Only Paleo “Cookie” « the PRIME pursuit - August 16, 2012

[...] little cuties led me to try the same thing with last week’s easy homemade beef jerky. The result was equally adorable pieces of beef jerky that are best described as the ONLY TRULY [...]

2. What’s in your kiddo’s lunchbox this year? « the PRIME pursuit - September 4, 2012

[...] nitrate free beef jerky or homemade beef jerky [...]

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 568 other followers