Pepper Poppers

4 Jul

I ran into this bag of adorable little sweet peppers at BJ’s this week, and I just couldn’t turn them down!  I love the convenience and size of these, they are perfect for salads and snacking!

After my first crunchy bite into one of these beauties, it dawned on me that they are so adorably stuffable!

This is a basic recipe that can be adjusted, seasoned, and tweaked  to your tastes and mood.  I think they would be fantastic stuffed with bratwurst, a breakfast mixture, even pulled pork.  There really is no limit to what you could do.  The little sweet peppers are just little chariots of deliciousness!

24 baby sweet peppers, tops, seeds and ribs removed
1/2 C  finely diced onion
1 lb italian sausage
1 tsp each: garlic powder, dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
4 c finely chopped kale
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 eggs lightly beaten

In a large pan, saute the sausage and onion in 2 tablespoons of oil until cooked through.  Add the kale, salt, garlic powder, oregano and the lemon juice.  Stir frequently until the kale is wilted, then remove from heat.   Prepare your peppers by slicing off the tops and paring out the seeds and ribs.   Once the meat mixture is mostly cooled, add in the 2  eggs and mix well.  Stuff the peppers by packing them pretty tightly…using my hands worked best!  Arrange them on a baking sheet.

Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.  Finish them under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until brown on top.

Happy Independence Day!!
Enjoy!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

About these ads

11 Responses to “Pepper Poppers”

1. Anonymous July 4, 2012 at 11:45 am #

Wow!!! That was fast! :) They look TASTEY!!! can’t wait to give this recipe a whirl! Thanks for another quick, fresh and clean way for me to cook! :)

Amanda

• the PRIME pursuit July 4, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

thanks! they were surprisingly fast to whip up… come over for a sample!

2. Katie July 4, 2012 at 12:04 pm #

#droolingonthekeyboard

3. Jessica July 5, 2012 at 9:06 am #

What a good idea! I bought some like these at Sam’s Club last week and decided they were too much work. They were good, but I think might stick with Bell peppers. :)

• the PRIME pursuit July 5, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

I agree they are a lot of work for a meal, but they are perfect when you need a snackie on hand, as appetizer or paleo finger food…i also like to keep things as quick as possible!

4. georgiajosie July 18, 2012 at 8:27 am #

I am going to make these as part of my meals for next week. I’ve recently began eating a paleo diet and I’m always looking for ideas. Thanks for sharing.

5. Heather July 24, 2012 at 5:40 pm #

They are in the oven now. Austin and I had so much fun making them! With the leftover meat mixture we made cute little meat muffins! Love the kale and Italian sausage mix, smells delicious!

• the PRIME pursuit July 24, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

OK, had to reply again because these were delicious! Every kiddo made a happy plate an the girls asked for seconds and thirds!

6. Valerie February 6, 2013 at 1:47 am #

Love your site. Wonderful recipes and best setup I’ve seen.

7. Mandy December 30, 2013 at 1:20 pm #

These are truly one of my favorite Paleo snack/meals EVER!!! SOOOOO GOOOD!!!! Thank you!

1. Let’s Get Real Here | the PRIME pursuit - April 30, 2013

[...] Stuffed Peppers [...]

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 537 other followers