Chicken Shawarma with Yogurt Sauce

10 Jun

chicken shawarma recipe

Chicken Shawarma.

Being an Army family with strong associations with the Middle East…ahem…has had its drawbacks.  But one of the awesome perks of having served in that region for so many months, is the exposure to and appreciation for Middle Eastern cuisine.

This recipe has been a hit with me and my husband, and our children.  I’ve shared it with my neighbors and friends and it always gets rave reviews.  Just go ahead and double this recipe.  Throw one portion of the marinated chicken into a gallon ziplock, and place it in the freezer for another day.   I only really like to make things that are inherently simple, so that is another added bonus.

1 pound chicken tenders, or breasts cut into strips
3 cloves minced garlic
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cumin

Combine the marinade ingredients, add the chicken, toss to coat.  Marinate 2 to 24 hours.

If you prefer for aesthetics, or serving as an appetizer for a group, you can skewer the chicken strips.

Grill over hot coals, about 2-3 minutes per side, to desired doneness.  Or you can place chicken on a broiler pan, and broil on high for 2-3 min per side.

Serve with Yogurt Dipping Sauce:

1/2 c greek yogurt
2 tbsp tahini
2 tsp lemon juice
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 tsp salt

This is a fresh and delicious meal when paired with a cucumber, tomato, and fresh mint and parsley salad.

You’re welcome.  :)

About these ads

8 Responses to “Chicken Shawarma with Yogurt Sauce”

1. thelady8home June 11, 2012 at 10:10 am #

That looks absolutely delish!!! Love it.I am a big fan of middle eastern cooking. Thanks for sharing!

• the PRIME pursuit June 12, 2012 at 9:58 am #

this is so simple and flavorful. its better on the grill… i wish i had taken pics of it when i had grilled it, especially since it is up on foodee…but i hope you enjoy it!! thanks for reading!

2. joniimstar June 13, 2012 at 7:58 am #

Cute new pics on the blog girls! You both look beautiful!

3. Shannon June 18, 2012 at 6:13 pm #

Ok so I thought you were bragging a little, but I was wrong this is so damn good. Even my picky eating BF who doesnt like change liked this.

• the PRIME pursuit June 18, 2012 at 8:31 pm #

great!! thanks for letting me know!

• the PRIME pursuit June 18, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

ha ha. now i see that “you’re welcome” quote was a little much. i will tone it down next time!!

4. Jenn June 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm #

This was delicious! I made a double batch, so we had left overs. They made the perfect snack for the next day! My 5 year old gave it a “250,000” on a scale of 0-10. Thanks for all the great recipes!

1. Marinated Flank Steak « the PRIME pursuit - February 14, 2013

[…] This one is on our regular rotation–it is so simple, and a crowd pleaser!  I am drawn to recipes that require no chopping, the ingredients are in the pantry, and so tasty it’s hard not to eat the whole thing.  Icing on the cake: it can be a freezer meal.  While I am at it, I usually double or triple this one, to have it on hand in the freezer (a.k.a. “pantry”).  It’s also great to be able to respond quickly for a friend who may be in need of a meal.  (**For another fabulous simple marinade/freezer meal, look back at our Chicken Shawarma.) […]

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 591 other followers