Hawaiian Wedding Cake

31 May

This was inspired by my Grammy’s signature “Hawaiian Wedding Cake” that she would make for my mom every year on her birthday. Knowing I had a lot to live up to, I tried my own version when my mom came up for a visit. The verdict was….she LOVED it!

It turned out to be a delightful grain free treat perfect for any special occasion and sure to please any audience. How could it not be with so many favorite things: coconut, pineapple, nuts and cream?!

For cake:

8 eggs
1/2 cup raw honey
1 20oz can pineapple in 100% juice, drained (reserve juice)
2 Tbs pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup reserved pineapple juice
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut
1 cup finely chopped nuts (I prefer combo of walnuts/pecans)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt

Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients in large food processor or standing mixer until a nice batter forms. Liberally grease 2x 9in cake pans or 1 9×13 pan with coconut oil. Distribute batter accordingly. Bake for 35-40 minutes until cake tester or toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on counter. Remove from pans and refrigerate between pieces of parchment paper until you are ready to frost.

For frosting:
8oz full fat cream cheese
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice

Combine all ingredients in standing mixer and whip on med-high speed until thick and fluffy. Frost cake as you wish once cakes have cooled. There will be plenty of frosting leftover depending on how you decorate!
Decorating ideas:

Use nuts to form a pretty design or top with pineapple chunks, crushed pineapple, or lightly toasted unsweetened coconut.

If you need something a little faster, try cupcakes! The above recipe makes about 18 yummy cupcakes!

Best,

About these ads

13 Responses to “Hawaiian Wedding Cake”

1. Erica Lager June 3, 2012 at 10:54 am #

Heather, this looks amazing! I’m going to have to try this…although it won’t be for a while. I made full fat Buckeyes for a party Matt went to this weekend and am in need of a detox after eating “a few” =).

• the PRIME pursuit June 3, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

Thanks, Erica! When you make it, let me know how it turns out!
      As for the buckeyes, it’s all about 80/20! No one is perfect and life is just too short not to indulge every once in a while.
      Take care,

2. Jennifer June 20, 2012 at 10:44 am #

Was wanting to make this cake, but I didn’t see what temperature you baked it at.

• the PRIME pursuit June 20, 2012 at 11:20 am #

Sorry about that Jennifer! I’ll revise now to reflect the following:

Preheat oven to 350.

Thanks and please let us know how it turns out!

• Jennifer June 25, 2012 at 12:13 am #

I decided to do the cake at 350, since most cakes are baked at this temperature, that I have baked anyway. It turned out great! The pineapple makes the cake moist. I was so excited to find a recipe that reflected almost the same cake I had to make for my boyfriend’s birthday with wheat flour. Our 4 yr old daughter decided he must have a Hawaiian Luau birthday party. It was a great addition so I could partake in the cake eating as well! Thank you!

3. Jennifer Schaffer June 24, 2012 at 7:04 pm #

Salutations Heather, I am making your cake right now. So far the raw batter tastes amazing:) I don’t know if you’ll repy in time for this to matter, but does the cream cheese need to be at room temp or kept cold?

• Jennifer Schaffer June 24, 2012 at 7:05 pm #

Not the same Jennifer has above…

• Anonymous June 24, 2012 at 10:37 pm #

Hi Jennifer! I hope it turned out well! If I remember to put the cream cheese out ahead of time, it creams a bit easier but it’s not necessary!

4. the PRIME pursuit July 31, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

Just made an update to the post: For an easier and less time consuming dessert, use the same recipe for cupcakes. They come out great!

Best,

5. Rose August 29, 2012 at 5:20 am #

When I saw how beautiful your cake looked I thought this is going to be a tough one to make. But when I saw your recipe it wasn’t that complicated. I can’t wait to surprise my mom as well!

• Heather August 29, 2012 at 9:29 pm #

Great to hear, Rose! The batter is quick and easy, and decorating with the whipped cream cheese icing is very forgiving. Let us know how it turns out for you!

1. Hawaiian Wedding Cake « the PRIME pursuit | wedding cake | wedding planner|wedding gowns|wedding cake - May 31, 2012

[...] the original post: Hawaiian Wedding Cake « the PRIME pursuit Posted in wedding cake, wedding planner on 31 May 2012 and tagged birthday, grammy, mom-came, [...]

2. Cauliflower and Coconut Flour | the PRIME pursuit - March 25, 2013

[...] Waffles Pizza crust Hawaiian wedding cake Grilled cheese “sandwiches” [...]

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 591 other followers