Fish Taco Salad with Avocado Cilantro Cream

16 May

Avocado Cilantro Cream

1/4 c grapeseed oil (olive oil is overpowering)
1/2 c chopped cilantro
3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar (sub white wine vinegar)
juice of 1 lime
1 ripe avocado
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 tsp pepper

In a food processor, blend the oil, cilantro, vinegar and lime juice.  Add the avocado, salt, garlic powder, and pepper and blend until smooth and shiny.  If you want it thinner (i.e. to make it “drizzle”) add desired amount of water, and adjust seasoning as needed.

Fish:

1 1/2 pounds of cod, cut into 2-inch chunks
2-3 tbsp oil for sauteeing
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp (or more!) smoked paprika

In a saute pan, bring oil to medium high heat.  Add fish to pan, and season generously with the salt, pepper, cumin and smoked paprika.  Cook until opaque, and flakes easily.  Remove from heat.

Salad:

equal parts lettuce and shredded cabbage
red onion sliced paper-thin
diced cucumber
diced mango
macadamia nuts, limes and cilantro for garnish

Assemble the salad, and top with the fish and avocado cream.  Serve it layered, or chopped.

We LOVE eating any taco-type food as lettuce wraps.  I prefer the texture of Bibb/butter lettuce.  These can be served as lettuce wraps: fill the lettuce with fish.  Top with cabbage, sliced onion, cucumber and mango, avocado cream and macadamia nuts.  Garnish with limes and more cilantro.  Yum.

Enjoy!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

About these ads

7 Responses to “Fish Taco Salad with Avocado Cilantro Cream”

1. Fran May 16, 2012 at 7:24 am #

Leigh! This sounds delish, where do you buy your fish? I’ve never had good luck with commissary fish in the past so I haven’t purchased it here…

• the PRIME pursuit May 16, 2012 at 7:36 am #

I actually used the frozen bags of cod fish in the commissary freezer section. blech. it was still good. you can sub frozen raw shrimp too. i go to Adams for good fish.

• Fran May 17, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

Made it with shrimp tonight -delish!!

2. Kristen May 16, 2012 at 7:27 am #

Leigh, it’s like you’re reading my mind lately! I was craving fish tacos over the weekend, but just tried to ignore it. Now I don’t have to! Thanks!

• the PRIME pursuit May 16, 2012 at 7:38 am #

awesome. i craved it too. i hope this ‘hits the spot’ for you!!

3. themarn May 26, 2012 at 10:51 am #

This was so delicious! We are not normally fish eaters, so this was a great way to start! SO yummy!

• the PRIME pursuit May 26, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

Thanks!! Thanks for letting me know how you liked it! I love that avocado cream, and so did my kids!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 566 other followers