Quick Kheema

8 May

I have acquired a recent love for two things:  ground lamb dishes, and Indian food.  I had 2 pounds of ground lamb due to expire in my fridge today, and it dawned on me that I could probably turn it into a quick Indian dish.  I did a little research and this is what I came up with.  This was so quick, and it’s truly unique and addictive!  It is so savory with a mysterious note of cinnamon that leaves hints of sweetness.

You have to try this.

2 pounds ground lamb (or any other ground meat you have on hand)
2 small or 1 large onion diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tsp garam masala
2 tsp salt
1.5 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp chili powder
3 tbsp tomato paste
2 c broth
juice of 1 lemon
Raita or greek yogurt

In a large pot over medium heat, crumble the ground lamb until mostly cooked through.  Drain cooked lamb to a colander, and reserve 2 tablespoons of fat. Saute onion and garlic in the reserved fat on medium until translucent, about 5 minutes.  Stir in all the spices, and the tomato paste.  Return the browned meat to the pan, and add broth and lemon juice.  Reduce heat, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until liquid has evaporated.  Toss in green peas if desired, and top with yogurt.

Typically you would serve this over basmati rice.  I ate it in a bowl, chili style.  Also it would be delicious served over zoodles, spaghetti squash, or even riced cauliflower.  Also, it would make a delicious filler for an omelette, or served under a couple poached eggs.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

About these ads

13 Responses to “Quick Kheema”

1. Andrew Ewell May 9, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

Mouth is watering! Thanks for all of your posts, you are an inspiration! Your food looks amazing… Keep It Up!!!

• the PRIME pursuit May 9, 2012 at 3:31 pm #

Thanks! How did you hear about our blog?? Let me know if you try this recipe, and if you like it!

• Andrew Ewell May 9, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

I was surfing the web one day and came across civilized cave man. I think your blog came up through there… not 100% sure though! I will def try it and get back to you. feel free to follow my blog as well! you guys rock

Andrew

2. Andrew Ewell May 10, 2012 at 8:27 am #

My Blog is called Primal Spirits, it is no longer Alive & Thrive. Just thought I would let you know so you are not following the wrong one!

3. the PRIME pursuit June 30, 2012 at 6:52 pm #

I just ordered and devoured Kheema Mattar in downtown San Francisco and it tasted just like this, Leigh! You have such a great knack at recreating authentic recipes! Yum!

4. Heather August 1, 2012 at 9:43 am #

Made this on Sunday night and it is ow officially one of husband’s favorite meals, plus the kids devoured it too. They requested it be a weekly repeat!
    Thanks again, Leigh!

5. Maddy October 15, 2012 at 9:14 am #

This is the best recipe, so tasty!!!

• the PRIME pursuit October 19, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

thanks!! awesome feedback. i love how fast it is, yet so much depth of flavor

6. Ellie K March 6, 2013 at 2:03 am #

This was great! Thanks for sharing such a delicious recipe.

7. Wendy October 3, 2013 at 7:17 am #

I made this again last night and William (5yrs) came in from play delighted to smell his “favorite Indian dish”! Homerun!

1. Let’s Get Real Here | the PRIME pursuit - April 30, 2013

[...] Quick Ground Lamb Kheema [...]

2. Curried Squash Soup | the PRIME pursuit - November 14, 2013

[…] primal, vegetarian, vegan, conventional, gluten-free, nut-free, and kiddos. I served mine with ground lamb kheema to offset the higher glycemic load of the squash and sweet potatoes. They are nutritional […]

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 579 other followers