Make it Simple. Make it Ahead.

8 Mar

One thing that people have a hard time getting used to when transitioning to the paleo/primal lifestyle, is the totally unavoidable requirement of planning when it comes to your meals.  We have become so accustomed to the grab-and-go, and it is extra work to have to prepare your next meal from scratch every time.  The solution, of course, is to be prepared.  Change your mindset, and remember that real food IS perishable.   Well, that’s inconvenient.

Take heart!  One thing we have that the “caveman” didn’t have:  a freezer.  Use it.  Spend some time on a Saturday afternoon preparing ahead for the week.  Cook it up, portion it out, wrap it well, pop it in the freezer.  Voilà!

The freezer is the new pantry.

I love meatballs.  They are bite-sized, my kids love them, and they make a great appetizer, especially when arranged on a platter beautifully…and they freeze really well.

I whipped these up the other day, and they turned out fabulous.  A delicious helping of veggies and protein in cute little 2-bite servings.

1 lb Italian sausage (any type of sausage will work)
1/2  onion finely diced
5-6 c raw spinach
2 eggs
1/4 c almond flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper
juice of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place all ingredients in your food processor and pulse until well blended.  Form into golf-ball sized meatballs, and roast on a prepared baking sheet  for 20 minutes.  Turn on the broiler for the last 2 minutes to get the golden brown finish.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Enjoy!

About these ads

15 Responses to “Make it Simple. Make it Ahead.”

1. the PRIME pursuit March 8, 2012 at 8:45 am #

Love it! The freezer is the new pantry, strong is the new skinny!

Also made me think of a quote I saw the other day:

“You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.”

• Katie May 30, 2012 at 8:51 pm #

We loved these, favorite recipe so far!

• the PRIME pursuit May 30, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

Awesome!! Thanks for letting me know. Katie who?!!

2. the PRIME pursuit March 8, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

I have had so many people ask me what to eat for breakfast besides eggs and eggie dishes. I am serious, almost weekly. After last night’s emergency text asking what to eat besides eggs, I decided to post this now. I have no issues eating the same thing everyday, but it seems like other people definitely do. The trick is to think outside the box. I hope people check out this recipe, find it filling, and even tweak it with their own seasonings to make it their own. -Leigh

• Eric March 8, 2012 at 9:57 pm #

This is definitely one of my favorite recipes!

3. Anonymous March 10, 2012 at 8:06 pm #

Just made em’! They are delish. Thanks for responding to my emergency text :)

4. Kristy March 26, 2012 at 11:53 am #

I love these Leigh! WIsh I had made a double or triple batch while I was at it! Thanks!

• the PRIME pursuit March 27, 2012 at 8:11 am #

Oh Goody! I feel as though I should always put a disclaimer on some of these recipes…telling people to go ahead and double this because everyone in the family, even the baby, will enjoy them! Thanks for the feedback!

5. Melanee February 9, 2013 at 1:17 am #

YUM! These were great to use up the random leftover veggies in my fridge and very tasty! Thanks!

6. Irish Food Recipes June 7, 2013 at 8:26 am #

Hello there, There’s no doubt that your web site could possibly be having browser compatibility problems. When I look at your website in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping issues. I just wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Aside from that, excellent site!

1. Easy Homemade Beef Jerky « the PRIME pursuit - August 1, 2012

[...] needed to be used that day and we already had dinner plans.  I could have made-ahead a meal like meatballs or stuffed peppers, but decided to get creative [...]

2. Green or Red Pesto « the PRIME pursuit - December 17, 2012

[...] with cooked spaghetti squash and some browned ground  beef, a batch of spinach meatballs, or rotisserie chicken [...]

3. What the heck is Paleo? | StyleBlueprint Birmingham - January 31, 2013

[...] hold the bread! I’m also very into homemade coconut butter and I’ve made raw zuchini hummus, spinach sausage balls, and Paleo pumpkin cheesecake. (Google any of these recipes, or click on the linked names above for [...]

4. Let’s Get Real Here | the PRIME pursuit - April 30, 2013

[...] Sausage Spinach Meatballs with Zucchini noodles [...]

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 562 other followers