Baba Ganoush

4 Feb

I love this recipe.  Not only does it motivate me to eat my vegetables, but my kids eat this stuff like it’s their job.  This is also one of my go-to appetizers, people rave about it, and the best part is knowing how healthy the dip itself is.  I used to live on hummus before I made the change, but I have never thought about it since.

• 2 eggplants, peeled, cut, roasted
  • ½ c pine nuts, toasted
  • 1/3 c tahini
  • ¼ c mayo (optional)
  • juice of 1-2 lemons
  • 2 tbsp cumin
  • 2 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • ½ c chopped parsley

Cover and roast the eggplant on a nonstick surface at 375 until soft and brown.   (about 60-90 min)

Toast the pine nuts until they are golden brown.

In a food processor, pulse the pine nuts with the cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Add eggplant and blend  until smooth.  Add tahini, mayo, and lemon juice.   Blend.   Add chopped parsley.  Taste it.  Go back and add lemon juice, or tahini, or salt if it needs it.  :)

Serve chilled, with crudités, or a veggie chip of your choice.

Enjoy!

About these ads

10 Responses to “Baba Ganoush”

1. Corrie @ Gingerly Homemaking February 4, 2012 at 9:27 am #

I’ve never had baba ganoush before, but I adore eggplant so I think I’ll have to try this! One question, I’m not a huge fan of pine nuts, do you think I could substitute it with another nut without ruining the dish, or even just leave them out?

• the PRIME pursuit February 4, 2012 at 10:29 am #

You could easily leave them out, or replace them with slivered almonds or pepitas. Enjoy and let us know how it turns out!

• the PRIME pursuit February 4, 2012 at 10:38 am #

I have left them out, but they add that hint of toastiness to the dip that is hard to nail. Try 1 tsp smoked paprika in lieu of chili powder. Leigh

2. Kristen February 4, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

I’m excited to try out this recipe! My six-year old would eat hummus with a spoon if I’d let her, and I’m hoping to switch her over to this!

• the PRIME pursuit February 4, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

Kristen,
      That’s great. For a more “store-bought” hummus-y taste, add more tahini. I usually eyeball what I put in, but sometimes I add more depending on my mood.

• Kristen July 26, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

Hey, ladies! I just made this today and skipped the mayo (we’re in the midst of a Whole30, so store bought is out, and I’m still a bit too nervous to do the whole make-your-own with raw eggs because the kids are so small) and it was STILL fabulous. You all rock!

3. Heather November 4, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

Made this yesterday with two heads of cauliflower roasted instead of eggplant and loved it. Even better the next day (as I sit here indulging in leftovers!)

4. ramadan krasniqi July 28, 2013 at 6:27 am #

Greetings I am so thrilled I found your site, I really found you by error,
    while I was looking on Yahoo for something else,
    Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say thank you for a fantastic post and a all round
    interesting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to look over it all at the moment but I have saved it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the great job.

1. Crackers two ways « the PRIME pursuit - February 5, 2012

[...] jerky. So, with that said, I present almond flour crackers:  a salty version that would accompany yesterday’s baba ganoush fabulously for part of a Super Bowl spread, and a sweet version to bring back childhood memories of [...]

2. Zaza ganoush « the PRIME pursuit - March 26, 2012

[...] set out to make baba ganoush for some company on Friday but realized a little too late that I forgot to buy eggplant.  I [...]

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 579 other followers